Slaven Bilic: English sides can underestimate UCL opponents
English clubs suffer disappointing Champions League results because they underestimate their opponents too often, West Ham manager Slaven Bilic believes.
Bilic, who was in charge of the Besiktas side that beat Liverpool on penalties in the Europa League last season, said: "Why are people so surprised when Manchester United lose a game against PSV?
"It isn't a shock, and you have to know that the other teams are also good.
"Many big clubs have lost at PSV -- they were European champions once."
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
He also hit out at reaction to Arsenal's defeat in Croatia, saying: "You can lose in Zagreb. It was a major surprise -- the whole of Croatia was surprised -- but it can happen.
"They play football there as well. They are a decent team, unbeaten in 41 games or whatever."