Trending: Wayne Rooney on Pogba and Hodgson, Lampard hat trick
Here are the latest stories for Monday.
- Rooney has backed Jose Mourinho to bring back the glory days of Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United -- and believes the club can challenge for the Premier League title this season.
- Manchester United defender Daley Blind is confident he can survive any squad changes at Old Trafford.
- Eric Bailly chose to sign for Manchester United because of the opportunity to work with Jose Mourinho and turned down Manchester City in order to do it.
MAN CITY: Schalke have confirmed that Leroy Sane is in Manchester as he closes in on a move to Manchester City. City boss Pep Guardiola recently confirmed City's interest in Sane, 20, and it was reported that he was due to undergo a medical.
- Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino believes there is "no reason" for criticism of Harry Kane's performances at Euro 2016, and says responsibility for England's failure in France rests with the manager.
- Liverpool midfielder James Milner is considering international retirement to clear the way for England's young talent.
- Sebastian Lletget scored with 12 minutes remaining to earn the LA Galaxy a 1-1 draw vs. the Seattle Sounders, who earlier took the lead through Cristian Roldan four minutes after half-time.
- Jamie Vardy has told ESPN FC that he found the decision to reject Arsenal to sign a new contract with Leicester easy and believes the Premier League champions will continue their progress next season.
LIVERPOOL: Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho will not join Roma this summer, his agent has said. France international Sakho, 26, has reportedly been targeted by the Giallorossi, who are in the market for a new centre-back this summe
- Divock Origi is aiming to become an "important player" for Liverpool after making a goal-scoring return to action in Saturday's preseason game against AC Milan.
LYON: Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has indicated that he will offer Alexandre Lacazette a new contract to make sure he is happy at the club. Arsenal have already had a €35 million bid for Lacazette rejected and Aulas, 67, insisted last week that the striker would be staying at Lyon despite reported interest from Paris Saint-Germain as well.
LIGUE 1: Bordeaux have reached an agreement for the transfer of AC Milan striker Jeremy Menez, subject to a medical. The 29-year-old France international is on the verge of returning to Ligue 1, where he has spent the majority of his 12 years in professional football after beginning his career with Sochaux in 2004.
WOLFSBURG: Wolfsburg have signed Jakub Blaszczykowski from Borussia Dortmund on a three-year contract. Poland international Blaszczykowski, who joined Dortmund in 2007, has completed a permanent deal for a reported €5 million after Thomas Tuchel deemed him surplus to requirements.
- Conte believes that he can take advantage of Chelsea's Champions League absence to sharpen their Premier League title challenge.
- Wenger has called Paul Pogba's expected £100 million transfer to Manchester United "completely crazy."
- Arsenal continued their preparations for the forthcoming Premier League season with a 3-1 win over Chivas Guadalajara in Los Angeles.
BAYERN MUNICH: Bayern Munich coach Carlo Ancelotti criticised Franck Ribery after the winger was booked for tangling with Felipe Melo during a friendly against Inter Milan. "I told him that I don't like players that are behaving like that," Ancelotti said at a news conference.
Most fouls made in Europe's top 5 leagues last season:
- Squawka Football (@Squawka) August 1, 2016
F. Vázquez (120)
S. Wagner (98)
P. Pogba (88)
H. Pérez (84) pic.twitter.com/2vGEYl6Icb
Make sure to come back again every weekday for more of the same.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.