Manchester United's Ander Herrera keen to stay despite Barcelona interest - sources
Ander Herrera's preference is to stay at Manchester United despite interest from Barcelona, sources have told ESPN FC.
The midfielder's contract at Old Trafford is set to expire in the summer and if fresh terms are not agreed he will be able to walk away for free.
Sources close to United insist they are keen to thrash out a deal with the 29-year-old while Herrera is prepared to snub other offers to stay at the club he joined from Athletic Bilbao for £30 million in 2014.
Herrera has been linked with a move to Barcelona since Ernesto Valverde, his former manager at Athletic, took over in 2017. United triggered a one-year extension in the Spaniard's contract last season but he will be a free agent in the summer and can start negotiations with clubs outside of England in January.
Herrera has made two appearances so far this season and missed the 1-1 draw with Wolves on Saturday because of an ankle injury.
He trained at Old Trafford on Saturday evening along with Marcus Rashford, Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay, Andreas Pereira, Ashley Young and Diogo Dalot and is in line to return to the team against Derby County in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday. McTominay, Dalot and Young are also set to be included against the Championship side.
Like Herrera, Young is also out of contract in the summer.
Sources have told ESPN FC the 33-year-old would like to stay at Old Trafford but is prepared to look elsewhere if he continues to find opportunities limited this season. He has not ruled out playing abroad.
He was first choice left-back last season and his form earned him a place in England's World Cup squad but has been restricted to just two appearances this term as understudy to Luke Shaw.