Everton

Football Whispers

Transfer Rater: Richarlison to Man United

Football Whispers

Transfer Rater: Eriksen to Barcelona

Football Whispers

Ramires hopes for Chelsea return; plays down links to Inter Milan

Ramires joined Jiangsu Suning from Chelsea in 2016.

Ramires has said he wants to play for Chelsea again before he retires because of the "special affection" he has for his time at Stamford Bridge.

Ramires, 30, left Chelsea to join Chinese Super League club Jiangsu Suning in January 2016 but spent time at their Cobham training ground earlier this season as he recovered from a knee injury.

In an interview with UOL Esporte, the midfielder voiced his desire to one day return to the club where he won every domestic and European trophy between 2010 and 2016.

"They're the team I will always have a special affection for and where I still have the desire to play before finishing my career," he said.

"I was recently treating an injury I had at the club and I can say that, without a doubt, it's like my second home there.

"I know the doors at Stamford Bridge will always be open for me, and going back to wear the shirt of that club one day would be amazing."

Ramires, who has two years left on his contract with Jiangsu, was linked with a move to Inter -- also owned by the Suning group -- in January, but said there had been no substance to that speculation.

"There has been a lot of talk about Inter's interest but nothing concrete has come to me directly, at least until now," he added. "Everyone knows Inter is a great club, and to play in Europe again is one of my wishes.

"My focus is on helping the team have a great year in 2018 and nothing else is going through my head at the moment."

Last season, Jiangsu finished 12th out of 16 teams in the Chinese Super League after being runners-up in 2016, but Ramires is confident the 2018 campaign will yield better results.

"The first year in China was excellent," he said. "I adapted very quickly. Last year, we had a lot of difficulties because of some changes, but the preparation for 2018 has been great.

"I'm happy here, so is my family, I have everyone's respect and affection and I'll keep fighting to continue meeting expectations."

Liam is ESPN FC's Chelsea correspondent. Follow him on Twitter: @Liam_Twomey.

Comments