Sydney FC
Orlando City SC
Philadelphia Union
11:30 PM UTC May 25, 2016

Tore targeted by West Ham - sources

By PA Sport

U.S. international Perry Kitchen: Jurgen Klinsmann backed Hearts move

Perry Kitchen (left) spent five years at DC United.

Midfielder Perry Kitchen has said United States head coach Jurgen Klinsmann encouraged him to sign for Scottish club Hearts.

Kitchen, 24, put pen to paper on a two-and-a-half-year contract on Wednesday after ending a five-year spell with DC United towards the end of last year.

He won his first three full U.S. caps last year and spent January with Klinsmann and his international teammates at a four-week training camp.

Former Germany striker Klinsmann has congratulated him on his "new adventure" on Twitter.

And Kitchen said: "I did speak with him, and he was very supportive of this decision. He is excited for me to try this and continue my career.

"With my contract expiring in the MLS, it just seemed like the right time to try something new to continue growing as a player.

"Hearts came up about a month ago. The more I heard about it, the better it sounded. It sounded like the club was headed in the right direction and it's something I want to be part of."

Kitchen, who will be in the squad for Saturday's Scottish Premiership game at Dundee, has already had an introduction to the Scottish game during a lengthy signing process.

"I'm very impressed," he said. "My wife and I are settling in very well. I think the club is top class.

"I've been to the three home games, and it's a great environment. It will be great to play in front of supporters who are so passionate."

Comments