LA Galaxy targeting Aston Villa defender Joleon Lescott - source
Aston Villa defender Joleon Lescott is a target for Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy, a source has told ESPN FC.
Galaxy are in the market for a new defender to replace Omar Gonzalez and a source has told ESPN FC that they made enquiries about former England man Lescott.
The 33-year-old moved to Villa Park from West Bromwich Albion on transfer deadline day in the summer and has so far made 15 appearances in all competitions for Villa, who are bottom of the Premier League.
Lescott has 18 months to run on his contract, but should they suffer relegation the club could be forced to offload a number of players to trim the wage bill.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Galaxy are monitoring Lescott's situation at Villa Park closely and could offer him a way out of the club during this month's transfer window as Villa -- currently 11 points away from safety -- contemplate life outside the Premier League next season.
Lescott, who has played 26 times for England, boasts a wealth of experience having made over 500 appearances in his career for Wolverhampton Wanderers, Everton, Manchester City, West Brom and now Villa.
LA Galaxy, who have former Premier League players Steven Gerrard and Robbie Keane at the club, had also been in talks to sign Ashley Cole recently.