Schalke insist Joel Matip staying put amid reported Liverpool link
Defender Joel Matip will not be leaving Schalke in the winter transfer window amid reports of a possible move to Liverpool, coach Andre Breitenreiter has said.
Matip, 24, is out of contract at the Veltins Arena at the end of the season, and talks over a new deal have stalled.
If no new contract is agreed, the January window would represent the last chance for the Royal Blues to cash in on Cameroon international Matip, who can also play in a holding midfield role.
MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
- McIntyre: Cole not in L.A. for the beaches
- Rapids add Conor Doyle from D.C. United
- Altidore seeks to make 2016 his best year
- Parkhurst: Road to MLS Cup starts now
- McBride: Miazga to Chelsea a positive
- FC TV: Fernando Torres moving to MLS?
- Transfers: Latest MLS player moves
Last season, Matip was linked with a switch to Newcastle United and, according to Express, Liverpool are stepping up their interest in him.
But speaking to kicker, Breitenreiter said: "I can rule out a winter departure.
"I am wishing for more competition between the players in the Ruckrunde [second half of the season]. We need that to maximise their performances."