Manchester United's Jesse Lingard a Newcastle target - sources
Newcastle are ready to step up their interest in Manchester United attacker Jesse Lingard, sources have told ESPN FC.
Newcastle boss Steve McClaren is a huge admirer of Lingard having signed him on loan from United last season when he was in charge of Derby County.
He impressed during his loan stint at Derby and McClaren believes the attacking midfielder would prove to be a valuable addition to his squad at Newcastle.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Lingard, who signed a new deal at Old Trafford in February, started in Lous van Gaal's first game in charge against Swansea City last August, but picked up a knee injury which saw him sidelined for several weeks and then he was loaned to Derby to regain his fitness.
Lingard, who impressive for England under-21s at this summer's European Championship, has featured heavily in United's preseason tour of the U.S. and scored in the win over Barcelona.
The 22-year-old is highly rated by United's coaching staff, but if Newcastle and McClaren get any indication that the Old Trafford could be willing to sell Lingard they are ready to make a bid for the winger's services.
Lingard has spent the last couple of seasons out on loan at Leicester City, Birmingham City, Brighton & Hove Albion and Derby.