Chelsea confident of completing deal for left-back Baba Rahman - sources
Chelsea are confident of securing a move for highly rated Augsburg defender Baba Rahman, sources have told ESPN FC.
Last week, Chelsea were in pole position to land Ghana international Rahman after tracking him all summer.
Jose Mourinho has made Rahman his top target as he searches for a new left-back following the departure of Filipe Luis back to Atletico Madrid.
Reports earlier on Friday suggested that the Blues had moved on to pursuing Galatasaray's Alex Telles, but sources said Chelsea remain on the verge of tying up a move for Rahman.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
A number of clubs, including Manchester City, Arsenal and Juventus have been credited with an interest in the Ghanaian left-back.
Rahman is regarded as one of the best young defenders in Europe, having impressed for Augsburg last season in the Bundesliga.
Augsburg are resigned to losing Rahman and sources say talks are at an advanced stage between Chelsea and the German club.
Mourinho sees Rahman as someone who can challenge Cesar Azpilicueta for a starting spot in the Chelsea XI and prove to be a star for the longer term at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea start the defence of their Premier League title against Swansea next week and hope to have Rahman in the fold by then.