Celta Vigo sign John Guidetti on free transfer
Celta Vigo have snapped up former Manchester City striker John Guidetti on a free transfer.
Guidetti, who spent last season on loan at Celtic, has signed a five-year deal with the Spanish club.
"The Swedish striker John Guidetti, a target for leading clubs in various European leagues, has joined the exciting project of Real Club Celta," the club said in a statement. "The striker, who has signed a five-year contract, will be presented on Sunday."
Celta are are hoping the 23-year-old can rediscover the form that he showed prior to suffering a virus in 2012 that threatened to derail his career.
Guidetti joined City as a youngster in 2008 but made his name during a loan spell with Feyenoord, when he scored 20 goals in 23 Eredivisie appearances, earning full Sweden honours in the process.
However, he was unable to complete the season after suffering from a virus. He returned to Manchester City, but was not fit enough to play until the following January, at which point he suffered a knee injury while featuring for the reserves.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
In January 2014, more than 18 months after his final appearance for Feyenoord, he joined Stoke on loan, but made only six substitute appearances.
A season with Celtic last campaign was more successful as he scored 15 times in 35 appearances, but the Scottish champions chose not to make the move permanent.
Guidetti enjoyed a fine summer, however, as he helped Sweden to victory at the European Under-21 Championship, scoring in penalty shoot-out which settled the final against Portugal.