Tottenham are interested in signing Danny Welbeck on loan from Manchester United, sources have told ESPN FC.
Spurs are keen on a temporary deal for Welbeck, 23, but that could prove to be a stumbling block as United are believed to want to recoup a fee from a permanent transfer.
The imminent arrival of Radamel Falcao at Old Trafford on loan from Monaco opens the door for the England international to leave the club.
And Red Devils manager Louis van Gaal is reported to have told the forward that he is allowed to leave before the transfer window closes on Monday.
Summer transfer window roundup
- Premier League: Team-by-team ins and outs
- Transfer Centre: All the done deals
- Marcotti: Mind-boggling transfers
- Delaney: What did we learn on deadline day?
- Horncastle: European transfer grades
- Smith: Transfers more important than the game?
- Macintosh: We worship goals, not balance sheets
Tottenham have been linked with a move for Welbeck this summer and they are now keen to push through a loan deal during the final hours of the window.
Meanwhile, Spurs midfielder Lewis Holtby is currently in Germany to finalise a loan move to Hamburg.
Holtby, 23, spent the second half of last season on loan at Fulham and has struggled to force his way into new boss Mauricio Pochettino's first team this term.