Marko Marin has undergone a medical with Fiorentina ahead of a season-long loan move to the Serie A club, with a future fee of five million euros also agreed with Chelsea according to reports.
Marin, 25, spent the 2013-14 campaign on loan at Spanish side Sevilla from the West London club, and La Viola confirmed on their Twitter account on Monday morning that the player had undergone a medical.
The versatile midfielder, who can play on either wing and also behind the strikers, was considered one of the most promising talents of German football -- on a par with the likes of Marco Reus, Thomas Muller and Mario Gotze -- in his years at Borussia Monchengladbach and Werder Bremen, consistently impressing with the latter between 2009 and 2012.
ALL-TIME HIGHEST TRANSFER FEES
1) £85m Gareth Bale -- Tottenham to Real Madrid, Sept. 2013
2) £80m Cristiano Ronaldo -- Man Utd to R. Madrid, June 2009
3) £75m Luis Suarez -- Liverpool to Barcelona, July 2014
4) £71m James Rodriguez -- Monaco to Real Madrid, July 2014
5) £59.7m Angel Di Maria -- Real Madrid to Man Utd, Aug. 2014
6) £56m Kaka -- AC Milan to Real Madrid, June 2009
Following his 12 million-euro move to Stamford Bridge in 2012, a series of muscular injuries meant he struggled to make the grade in England, playing just six times before moving on loan to Sevilla last summer.
Marin's potential has seemingly attracted Vincenzo Montella, though, and on paper he has the international experience and technique that the Viola coach is looking for.
The move would give Montella offensive reinforcement given that Colombia international Juan Cuadrado has been repeatedly linked with a move away to either Manchester United or Barcelona.
Free to play: ESPN FC Premier League fantasy
- Q&A: Why you need to reselect your fantasy squad
- Sign up for our new game and challenge your friends
- How to play the game -- fantasy rules in full
- Transfers: Check out the latest Premier League moves
- Fantasy Forum: Discuss your team and tactics