Paul Lambert has said Aston Villa have yet to receive an offer for Netherlands defender Ron Vlaar.
Vlaar, 29, has been linked with a move after playing an important role for Louis van Gaal's Dutch side at the World Cup.
Southampton boss Ronald Koeman suggested last month he could move for the player as a replacement for Dejan Lovren, having worked with the centre-back at Feyenoord, but Lambert said: "The only thing that gave me some concern was people talking about other people's players. I thought that was wrong.
"At the moment there has been nothing and I fully expect him to be here. I have had a little chat with him and everything is fine. We move on and everything will sort itself out.
"You are playing a dangerous game if you mention other people's players. You have to have respect for that."
Free to play: ESPN FC Premier League fantasy
- Fantasy: Sign up and challenge your friends
- How to play the game -- fantasy rules in full
- Johnson: Premier fantasy squad building
- Transfers: Who's in, who's out in the Premier League?
- Fantasy Forum: Discuss your team and tactics
- Premier League fantasy FAQ -- your questions answered