Morgan Schneiderlin 'going nowhere'
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman says Morgan Schneiderlin is not in the right frame of mind to play in the friendly against Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday but insists the midfielder will not be sold.
Schneiderlin, 24, held talks with Koeman and Saints chairman Ralph Krueger on Friday morning, where he was again told he would not be allowed to leave the club.
The France international, who has been linked with a move to Tottenham, trained with his teammates this week, although he spent two days working separately as he regains fitness following an extended rest after the World Cup.
"The situation is difficult, the player makes it difficult,'' Koeman said.
"I spoke to him with our chairman and the situation has not changed -- we don't sell Schneiderlin and he has to accept that.
"Tomorrow he is not in the squad [for the Leverkusen game]. He said he is not physically and, even more, mentally prepared for tomorrow.
"On one side I can understand that. We told him to take the weekend off and think about the situation.
"He will continue as a football player of Southampton. Now it is up to him."
Southampton have taken steps towards replacing those who have left with the signings of Saphir Taider, Dusan Tadic, Graziano Pelle and Ryan Bertrand, while Jose Fonte has penned a new deal with the Saints and been appointed club captain.
PREMIER LEAGUE PREVIEWS
As we count down to kickoff on Aug. 16, ESPN FC previews all 20 teams in this season's competition. Can Burnley, QPR and Leicester stay up? Will the new signings of Alexis Sanchez, Diego Costa and Adam Lallana help usurp Man City's crown? Will Manchester United get back on track under Louis van Gaal?
The Saints are chasing Argentina and Sporting Lisbon defender Marcos Rojo, while a deal is understood to be close for Steaua Bucuresti defender Florin Gardos.
"We are interested in Gardos but until now they haven't told me it is signed or done -- but we are interested, that is true,'' Koeman said.
"We are interested in Rojo but the transfer is a question for the chairman and [executive director] Les Reed.
"These two players are both on our list."
Southampton have let six first-team players go so far this summer and Koeman concedes the squad needs bolstering ahead of their Premier League opener against Liverpool on Aug. 17.
"It is not about a specific number but we need more competition in the squad than we have now,'' Koeman said. "Maybe one, maybe two, maybe three because we have to be prepared.
"I'm very happy about the quality in the squad but the season in the Premier League is long and we need more players of Premier League level to have real competition.
"To achieve that more players will come into the team."