Fabio Borini may still join Sunderland
- Randall: Sunderland struggling to seal deals
Sunderland had agreed a fee of up to 14 million pounds for Borini, who spent last season on loan at the Stadium of Light, but his agent then told the Italian media the player wanted to remain at Anfield.
Free to play: ESPN FC Premier League fantasy
- Sign up for our new game and challenge your friends
- Fantasy Blog: Tips for picking your squad | New names
- David Silva and Romelu Lukaku in hot fantasy form
- How to play the game -- fantasy rules in full
- FAQ: All your game questions answered
- Transfers: Check out the latest Premier League moves
- Fantasy HQ: Email us with your issues
He subsequently linked up with the Reds on their preseason tour before suffering a shoulder injury just 14 minutes into the friendly against Roma, but Poyet revealed talks have taken place and that a transfer could still take place.
"He is being assessed now for his shoulder injury," Poyet said. "That's stopped everything a little bit. We will see. I have not held talks with him, but the club has, although that's private. We know where we stand."
The Daily Mail has reported that Poyet will not allow negotiations to extend beyond the start of the Premier League season.