Bristol City
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018

LIVE: Madrid could move for Courtois

Transfer Talk

Transfer Rater: Barnes to Chelsea

ESPN FC  By ESPN staff

James Rodriguez dreaming of Madrid

James Rodriguez has told Marca that a move to Real Madrid is his "life's dream" but said his future was down to Monaco.

- Rigg: Madrid finalists set for exit

Colombia international Rodriguez, 23, has been strongly linked with a move to the Bernabeu after a highly impressive performance at the World Cup.

Asked if he would "jump at the chance" to join Madrid, he told the Spanish newspaper: "No doubt about it, my answer is a resounding yes."

He added: "Playing for Real Madrid is my life's dream. It'd be a privilege to play alongside so many stars. If it happened, I'd enjoy it to the max.

"It's really flattering to know that a club of Real Madrid's stature is interested in me. It'd be a dream to join the club of my dreams. I have a great deal of respect for other clubs and admire the good football they play, but ultimately Real Madrid are Real Madrid. I've always had a thing for them, like I said before.

"I've liked Real Madrid since the days when Zidane, the Brazilian Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Fernando Hierro were around. I've been following them religiously since then."

He said it would be "a privilege" to play alongside Cristiano Ronaldo and said Toni Kroos, who is expected to join from Bayern Munich, would be "a great signing."

Despite his desire to join the European champions, Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev said earlier this month that Rodriguez -- who signed from Porto a year ago -- was not for sale and the player accepts it is down to the club.

"I'm eternally grateful to [Monaco president] Dimitry [Rybolovlev] and Vadim Vasilyev for the opportunity they gave me," he said. "The club is building something big. Obviously it would be a dream for me to play for Real Madrid, but I will always respect my current club, who will have the last word on the matter."

Comments