BARCELONA -- Barcelona prosecutors have cleared Lionel Messi in a tax fraud case but are seeking an 18-month prison sentence for his father, Jorge.
Messi Sr. is accused of defrauding Spain's tax office of €4 million ($4.5m) in unpaid taxes from 2007-09.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Evans: Why Rodgers went | - Timing right | Vote: Who next?
- Marcotti: Gunners can challenge, brilliant Bayern, Mourinho
- Mitten: Man Utd must move on | Macintosh: Heroes & Villains
- Corrigan: La Liga lessons | Miller: Mourinho too predictable
- FC TV: Klopp right for LFC? | Chelsea mess | PL in 90 seconds
- Highlights (U.S. only): Premier League | Champions League
- News index | Transfer Talk | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
The decision is considered a win for Lionel Messi, who also had been mentioned in the investigation. A Spanish judge had recently rejected an appeal filed by the player's lawyers to drop the Barcelona forward from the case.
In the documents...