Manchester City in Kevin De Bruyne talks but no agreement yet - Wolfsburg
Wolfsburg have confirmed they are in negotiations with Manchester City for the transfer of Kevin De Bruyne but said there is no agreement at this stage.
Wolfsburg sporting executive Klaus Allofs told a news conference that De Bruyne has resisted the Bundesliga club's efforts to prolong his stay but said he would only be sold if City meet his asking price.
Allofs also played down speculation suggesting Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain or Manchester United could hijack the deal, saying it was "unlikely" the Belgium midfielder would join any other club.
Widespread reports on Wednesday claimed City had agreed a fee in the region of £58 million for the 24-year-old, but Allofs told reporters on Thursday: "There is no agreement with Manchester City.
"What is true is that, after long consideration and several attempts to convince Kevin to play at Wolfsburg for another year, we have entered talks with Manchester City.
"As of now, he is a VfL Wolfsburg player, and will train with the squad as normal. We are willing to talk and are open to reaching an agreement, but should they fail to meet our demands, Kevin De Bruyne will remain at Wolfsburg this season. I'd quite like that."
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
De Bruyne's agent, Patrick De Koster, suggested on Wednesday that a deal was close but told Sky Sports News: "There is no final agreement. Maybe there will be tomorrow."
Allofs hit out at media running reports that a deal had already been agreed, saying: "It's sad that nobody trusts us, and prefers to run with sources instead."
Wolfsburg boss Dieter Hecking said he was "tired of the same old questions" about the reigning Bundesliga outfield player of the year as he prepares his team for Friday's game against Schalke.
He told the media at Thursday's news conference: "I will call up 18 players to our match-day squad, and I'd like to think, at least right now, that Kevin will be part of the squad."
Wolfsburg could move top of the Bundesliga ahead of the weekend if they beat Schalke after claiming a win and a draw from their opening two games, and Hecking said: "I just want to win that match."