Raheem Sterling to miss Liverpool flight amid Man City talks
Raheem Sterling will not travel with the Liverpool squad when they head out to Thailand on Sunday as transfer talks are ongoing with Manchester City, sources have confirmed to ESPN FC.
Sterling was on Saturday named in Liverpool's 30-man squad for their tour of Thailand, Australia and Malaysia, but it emerged on Sunday that fresh developments meant he would not board the plane.
While there is no deal in place, talks are sufficiently advanced that Sterling will stay behind to see if a deal can be completed.
Sterling reported for training on Sunday morning but Liverpool told him he would not be joining the squad on the flight.
Sterling missed the start of preseason training earlier this week, citing illness as he sat out Wednesday and Thursday's sessions before reporting back on Friday.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Sources had previously told ESPN FC that he had asked manager Brendan Rodgers if he could be excused from the preseason tour before being named in the 30-man squad.
Liverpool are due to fly to Bangkok on Sunday ahead of their first friendly against a Thai All Stars side next Tuesday.
ESPN FC correspondent Mike Whalley contributed to this report.