RB Leipzig planning new contract discussions with Timo Werner
Since joining Leipzig from Stuttgart in 2016, Werner has emerged as one of the Bundesliga's biggest talents. The attacker has netted 28 goals in 41 league games, and added a further four in 10 Champions League and DFB Pokal matches.
The 21-year-old, who is under contract until 2020, has also announced himself on the international stage with seven goals in 10 matches for Germany, and is likely to increase his value further at the 2018 World Cup, where he is all but guaranteed a squad place if he remains fit.
And going into a busy winter, Leipzig sporting director Ralf Rangnick has told Bild that the club want to enter contract talks with Werner, as well as midfielder Marcel Sabitzer and head coach Ralph Hasenhuttl, whose deal expires in 2019.
"First of all, the three of them are still under contract for a bit, and that's why we are under no pressure," Rangnick said. "But it's also a fact that we would like to prolong ahead of time since Timo Werner and Marcel Sabitzer are absolute key players for us."
Throughout the season, Werner has been linked with a number of top clubs including Liverpool and Madrid.
Last week, CEO Oliver Mintzlaff said in Sport Bild that Leipzig might not be able to hang on to stars like Werner, adding that they would have to consider big offers.
Rangnick, meanwhile, also addressed Hasenhuttl's situation, with the coach yet to reveal his future plans amid links with Bayern Munich.
"Also here, we have no pressure. That'd be the case in in early 2019," Rangnick said. "Ralph and his staff do an incredible job here. He feels at home. He knows that we are an attractive club with huge potential, and that we'll try also in the future to become regulars in Europe."
Leipzig sit second in the Bundesliga, three points behind leaders Bayern. On Saturday, they travel to seventh-placed Hoffenheim.
Stephan Uersfeld is the Germany correspondent for ESPN FC. Follow him on Twitter @uersfeld.