Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo thanked by Mexico quake victim
The father of a 7-year-old boy who died in the Mexico City earthquake last week has sent a second letter to Cristiano Ronaldo, thanking the Real Madrid star for reaching out to the grieving family and telling the Portuguese striker: "Your gesture has helped to lessen the pain."
After the 7.1 magnitude earthquake, in which at least 319 people died, the father wrote to Ronaldo. In his first message, he said that his son, Santiago Flores, was a big fan the Real Madrid forward. Flores was one of 19 children to perish in the rubble of the Enrique Rebsamen school.
Ronaldo replied with a message on his social media and a photograph of himself holding a Real Madrid jersey with the message "to my No 1 fan, Santiago."
En este momento de dolor, envío a la familia de Santiago y a todas las familias que han perdido sus seres queridos un enorme abrazo. pic.twitter.com/odD28aFPfv— Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) September 24, 2017
Ronaldo added: "At this time of pain, I send a huge embrace to Santiago's family and to all the families who have lost loved ones."
On Tuesday, Santiago's father sent a letter to ESPN thanking the Portugal captain for "lessening the pain."
It read: "This is the worst time of our lives, you lessen this pain and I have no words, only I reiterate the message of my first letter: Thanks for being a source of inspiration for my son, thanks for existing and God bless you."
The letter includes a photograph of the young Santiago wearing a Real Madrid jersey.
"You were able to achieve the dream of these parents who have been left frustrated due to an irreparable loss. Those who are parents know that one lives for their children and one works to try to give more than one can and when they go, frustration overtakes everything," the letter said.
Adriana Garcia is a Valencia-based football writer who covers La Liga for ESPN FC.