Raheem Sterling wants out of Liverpool's preseason tour - sources
Raheem Sterling has told Liverpool he wants to be left out of their preseason tour as he tries to force through a move to Manchester City.
The winger has told manager Brendan Rodgers he does not wish to join the trip to the Far East and Australia, sources have told ESPN FC.
Liverpool will fly to Thailand on Sunday to begin the two-week tour before returning to Merseyside on July 25.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
The club still expect Sterling to be on that flight, although that could change if they receive a third bid from City in the coming days.
It is understood that the Reds value the 20-year-old at £50 million. If a sale is agreed, then his former club Queens Park Rangers, from whom Liverpool signed him when he was 15 in 2010, would be due a 20 percent sell-on fee.
Sterling's relationship with Liverpool has broken down in recent months, with the England international giving an interview to the BBC in April revealing that he had turned down a contract offer of £100,000 a week.
In the weeks following that interview, Rodgers stated repeatedly that the winger was not for sale, and would be expected to stick to his current £35,000-a-week contract, which runs until 2017.
Sterling's increasing determination to leave, coupled with an increased offer from City, is likely to bring a move closer to reality, however.
Liverpool open their four-match tour against a Thai All-Stars team in Bangkok next Tuesday, then travel to Australia to play Brisbane Roar on July 17 and Adelaide United on July 20, and will wrap up with a Malaysia XI in Kuala Lumpur on July 24.
In 2013, the Reds ordered Luis Suarez to join a preseason tour of the Far East and Australia after he had tried, unsuccessfully, to force through a move -- and despite a bid of just over £40 million from Arsenal.
Suarez signed a new contract the following December, but did end up leaving for Barcelona seven months later.