Ron-Robert Zieler announces he's leaving Hannover this summer
Ron-Robert Zieler has announced that he will leave relegated Hannover 96 in the summer.
Hannover 96 at the weekend became the first Bundesliga side to be relegated this season. A late push under interim coach Daniel Stendel was not enough to keep the Lower Saxony club in the top flight.
Earlier this season, Zieler, 27, said Hannover would need a miracle to stay up and there have been several indicators the 2014 World Cup winner does not plan to go into the second division with the club he joined from Manchester United's reserves in 2010. The Germany keeper can trigger a €3.5 million release clause in his contract.
On Tuesday, Zieler announced on Facebook that his time at the club will come to an end after six seasons with Hannover. In a heartfelt message to the Hannover supporters, Zieler wrote: "Everyone who knows me will know just how much this relegation hurts me. I feel very close to Hannover, to the club and to the people. I think that a club like 96 belongs into Bundesliga, without any ifs and buts. That's why I really hope that the second league will only be a short stopover."
Addressing his personal situation, Zieler, however, added that he will not be part of the club's efforts to return to Bundesliga.
He continued: "I don't yet know what's next for me personally. But I don't want to blow smoke, but rather be honest. Even though Hannover has grown on me: I am ambitious. And it's my goal to play in the top flight next season. There are enquiries, but no decision has been made."
In February, Zieler was named as a potential transfer target for Manchester City, but dropped hints earlier this week that he sees his future in the Bundesliga.
"I feel great here in Germany, in one of the best leagues in the world," he said to kicker, with the football magazine naming several clubs including Bayer Leverkusen, RB Leipzig and Borussia Dortmund as potential suitors.