Schalke's Johannes Geis gets five-game ban for horror challenge
Schalke midfielder Johannes Geis has been given a five-match suspension in all domestic competitions after a challenge that left Borussia Monchengladbach winger Andre Hahn needing surgery.
Geis, 22 -- who was sent off for the challenge -- was also fined €15,000 by the German FA (DFB), and both Schalke and the player have accepted the suspension.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
On Sunday, he apologised for the foul on his social media outlets, saying he had miscalculated his challenge.
The punishment means Geis will miss the DFB-Pokal match against Monchengladbach as well as Bundesliga games against Ingolstadt, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen.
However, he is eligible to play in the Europa League match at Sparta Prague.