Bettors cash in on Germany's 7-1 win
Germany's 7-1 shocking margin of victory over Brazil in the World Cup semifinal on Tuesday paid dividends for bettors who collected on the 999-1 odds of it happening.
Brazil 1-7 Germany -- reaction
- Marcotti: Scolari at a loss to explain
- Jones: Seven stages of grief for Brazil
- Duarte: Haunting defeat for the Selecao
- Delaney: Three Points - Brazil broken by Germany
- Low: German plan worked perfectly
- Behind the Numbers: Germany's historic win
- Photo Gallery: Best of Brazil vs. Germany
- Klose breaks World Cup goals record | Highlight
- Social reaction: Brazil, did that just happen?
Barry Orr, a spokesman for England-based Betfair, told ESPN.com that three bettors, who placed a total of $11 on Germany beating Brazil 7-1, raked in approximately $11,000.
Bookmakers around the world didn't even list the improbable score as an option, but Betfair offers an exchange where fans can set up a wager on its platform.
The odds of 999-1 are the highest value that can be set on the exchange. The firm administers the payoff for a price of in between 2 and 5 percent of the winnings.
"The guys I feel sorry for are the punters who had 31 pounds [$53 U.S.] at 999-1 on 7-0 Germany," Orr said.
Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight.com, a subsidiary of ESPN.com, wrote that from a statistical standpoint, the 7-1 result was the most surprising outcome in World Cup history.
Even without Neymar and Thiago Silva, bookmakers had made Brazil and Germany as co-favourites to win the title.