Fernando Torres could return for Spain, Vincente del Bosque says
Spain coach Vicente del Bosque says Fernando Torres has a chance to return to the international stage and welcomed his move back to Atletico Madrid.
Torres has scored 38 goals in 110 games for his country, winning the 2010 World Cup and 2008 and 2012 European Championships, but he has not featured at international level since scoring in the 3-0 win over Australia in Spain's final group game at the 2014 World Cup.
The 30-year-old had appeared unlikely to return to international action after struggling during a loan spell at AC Milan during the first half of the season, with Chelsea's Diego Costa and Valencia's Paco Alcacer well ahead of him in the queue.
However, Torres has looked revitalised after his return to boyhood club Atletico this month, and scored twice in the second leg of the Copa del Rey victory over Real Madrid on Jan. 15.
Del Bosque told radio show "Partido a Partido" that he is happy to see Torres back playing closer to home, and the door was not closed on an international return.
"It is good for everyone that he is back in Spain again," Del Bosque said. "We have never taken anyone off our agenda. We will always look to bring the best people. He has the same chance as the other international forwards to be chosen for the national team."
Del Bosque also criticised Sergio Ramos in the interview for his comments on Cesc Fabregas and Costa after the Chelsea duo had withdrawn from international duty over apparent fitness issues.
The pair had been declared injured but Real Madrid defender Ramos suggested that they had shown a lack of commitment to the cause.
Del Bosque, who had said at the time he left Costa out of his squad to avoid confrontation with Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, said he had not been impressed with Ramos' comments.
"I did not like his words," he said. "They called into question the friendly atmosphere."