Tottenham's Son Heung-Min 'not entirely to blame' for S Korea loss
Tottenham attacker Son Heung-Min is not "entirely" to blame for South Korea's disappointment at the Olympics, manager Uli Stielike has said.
Son, 24, was named as one of three overage "wildcards" in the under-23 squad for Rio, but after scoring twice in the group stage missed several chances as they were beaten 1-0 by Honduras in the quarterfinals.
Olympic and under-23 coach Shin Tae-Yong revealed that Son "cried all day long" and "didn't even eat" after the match.
Stielike, meanwhile, said Son had not been at his best against the Hondurans and said he would hold talks with the Spurs man.
"I watched all four games during the Olympic games, and among the 18 players, only two -- Jang Hyeon-Su and Hwang Hui-Chan -- showed off consistent performance," Stielike, who named Son in his squad for the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers, said.
"I know that Son is under fire for his mistakes during the game against Honduras, but it wasn't entirely his fault.
"While he failed to seize a chance to find the net, he was threatening enough. A bit of tendency to depend on personal skills was seen during the game, but that is an issue that can be solved through talks."
A medal would have made South Korea's players exempt from the county's mandatory two-year military service.
The prospect of military service before he turns 30 continues to hang over Son, who can still gain exemption if he helps South Korea to win the 2018 Asian Games in Indonesia.
Son returned to Tottenham last week but was not included in the squad for Saturday's 1-0 home win over Crystal Palace.
Dan is ESPN FC's Tottenham correspondent. Follow him on Twitter: @Dan_KP.