Samuel Eto'o in talks with Ajax
Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o could be set to continue his career in Holland as Ajax director Marc Overmars has confirmed the club are in talks to sign him.
Eto'o, 33, played for Chelsea on a one-year contract last season but that expired this summer and he is now available on a free transfer.
He scored 12 goals in all competitions for the Blues last season -- all at Stamford Bridge -- and has been attracting the interest of Sunderland, QPR and West Ham. However, Ajax's ability to offer Champions League football may swing the balance in the Dutch club's favour.
Summer transfer window roundup
- Premier League: Team-by-team ins and outs
- Transfer Centre: All the done deals
- Marcotti: Mind-boggling transfers
- Delaney: What did we learn on deadline day?
- Horncastle: European transfer grades
- Smith: Transfers more important than the game?
- Macintosh: We worship goals, not balance sheets
"Samuel seemed very hungry to play for Ajax. He is fit and has a great drive to succeed once again," Overmars told Voetbal International.
"We don't want to block the growing process of our talents like [Arkadiusz] Milik and [Richairo] Zivkovic, but if it is possible to sign a world class player like Eto'o, then why not? It will be fantastic."