Bayern Munich backed out of an approach to sign Kevin De Bruyne from Wolfsburg before the midfielder joined Manchester City, according to the player's agent.
De Bruyne, 24, signed for City from Wolfsburg on Sunday for £54 million, bringing to an end a summer-long transfer saga.
The Belgium international's agent, Patrick De Koster, said Bayern and Ligue 1 side Paris Saint-Germain were also keen to acquire his services.
BEST OF ESPN FC
- Hunter: Real 'win' De Gea saga | Marcotti: Both clubs lose
- Smith: The cult of the transfer | Miller: Moves not decisive
- Laurens: Man Utd gamble on Martial | Mitten: Wild window
- Window Watch: Club-by-club | Cox: Best Prem transfers
- Delaney: Prem transfer grades | Horncastle: Euro grades
- Premier League highlights (U.S.) | TOTW | Power Rankings
- ESPN FC TV: Window buzz | Stale Chelsea | Man City smart
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | Fantasy | FC Podcast
"We had heard that Bayern had an interest," De Koster told sporza. "I then...