Lyon's faint hopes of mounting a title challenge were effectively ended after they went down 4-2 at home to lowly Montpellier.
Casimir Ninga, the Chad international forward, was the hero for the visitors scoring twice after an early own-goal from Max Gonalons had rocked Lyon.
Hubert Fournier's side, beaten 3-0 by Nice in their last Ligue 1 match, remain in second place in the Ligue 1 table but leaders Paris St Germain look out of reach now, 13 points ahead.
Montpellier took the lead in the eighth...
Lyon winger Mathieu Valbuena has expressed his disappointment in Karim Benzema over the Real Madrid striker's alleged role in an attempt to blackmail him.
Earlier this month, Benzema, 27, was charged with conspiracy to blackmail as part of an investigation into an attempt to extort funds from 31-year-old Valbuena, a France international teammate, using a sex tape.
Wiretap evidence has been gathered in the case, and Benzema is suspected of acting as an intermediary on behalf of a childhood friend....
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has said his side's exit from the Champions League is "a huge disappointment for us and for French football."
Last season's Ligue 1 runners-up conceded in injury time as they lost 2-1 at home to Belgian champions Gent on Tuesday.
That result means Lyon do not have the consolation of a place in the Europa League -- which a third-placed finish would have given them - and are guaranteed to finish bottom of Group H.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Marcotti's Musings: Mourinho challenges Diego Costa
- Miller: Prem is lacking | Evans: Wenger criticism unfair
- Tactics Board | Mitten: Schweinsteiger's still got "it"
- Corrigan: La Liga what we learned | Player Power Rankings
- Heroes and Villains: Pardew's day of joy, Costa's bib fit
- Delaney: Chelsea, Spurs draw | Mourinho on Costa | TOTW
- FC TV: Pep undecided | Chelsea incomplete | Arsenal injuries
- Highlights (U.S. only): Premier League | Champions League
- News index | Transfer Talk | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
Lyon are second in Ligue 1, but Aulas said the lack...