Over 200 Borussia Dortmund fans banned for Stuttgart game
Over 200 Borussia Dortmund supporters have been banned from attending their club's next away match at Stuttgart on Nov. 17.
The bans -- initially reported by the Rheinische Post newspaper and later confirmed by a VfB Stuttgart spokesperson -- come amid concerns of violence at a train station close to the Mercedes-Benz Arena.
Some 298 Dortmund supporters were taken into temporary custody prior to two sides' previous meeting at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in April 2016 and a spokesman for Stuttgart said bans had been issued ahead of the upcoming fixture because the "hostility between the fan groups points towards similar incidents/offences happening again at the Bundesliga match on November 17."
However, a police spokesperson confirmed to Rheinische Post that there had been no criminal convictions in the aftermath of the game in 2016, and the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Fanawalte, a group of lawyers supporting football fans, criticised the stadium bans and called them "unlawful," in part because of the length of time that has passed since the previous game.
Meanwhile, defender Neven Subotic has not ruled out leaving Borussia Dortmund during the winter transfer period, and winger Marco Reus resumed running training following his anterior cruciate ligament injury in May.
Subotic has made just one competitive appearance for the club this season, and told reporters at a PR event on Tuesday that "everything is possible in football."
The centre-back added: "I have a contract until the summer, and right now I don't know what will happen next."
Reus, meanwhile, has been absent with the knee injury since the DFB Pokal final in Berlin, and was pictured by German tabloid Bild completing laps in Dortmund on Tuesday.
However, the Germany international is not expected to return to team training before the end of February.
Stephan Uersfeld is the Germany correspondent for ESPN FC. Follow him on Twitter @uersfeld.