Arsenal defender Mathieu Debuchy: I must leave in January transfer window
Arsenal defender Mathieu Debuchy has revealed that he will quit the club in January as he wants to play for France at Euro 2016.
Debuchy, 30, suffered a long-term shoulder injury last season and lost his place to Hector Bellerin, who has starred at right-back for the Gunners in 2015-16.
The French international has made just seven appearances for the club so far and admits that he will have to move on if he is to play for his country this summer.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
"Whatever happens, even if it is to return [to Arsenal] this summer and then start again, I have to go this winter. I can not stay at Arsenal," he told L'Equipe.
"As the weeks go by, we get closer to the Euros. I have to play to try to return as soon as March for the Netherlands and Russia friendlies.
"I clearly lost six months. I would have preferred to leave last summer but the coach [Arsene Wenger] told me that I would have my chance. Ultimately, it was not the case."
Debuchy has been linked with Aston Villa and Bayer Leverkusen, and the defender insisted that either option would be fine.
"It's true, they [Villa] are among the teams seeking me. I'm currently studying everything but it's not a possibility I have excluded," he added.
"[Villa's position] makes you think. This is also why I take my time before deciding. On the other hand, it can also be a great challenge. While they are currently in difficulty, Aston Villa is one of the major English clubs. This is also why I do not rule out this possibility.
"[The interest from Leverkusen] is true and it may interest me too. The most important thing is to play in an attractive league."