Barcelona confirm Victor Valdes departure from youth team role
Barcelona have sacked under-19 team coach Victor Valdes less than three months after bringing him back to the Camp Nou as a result of several disagreements with club executives and workers, sources have confirmed to ESPN FC.
Last Friday, ESPN FC reported that Valdes had already said goodbye to his players after Barca announced the former goalkeeper was not going to travel to Saturday's game against Gimnastic in Tarragona.- ESPN La Liga fantasy: Sign up now!
- When does the transfer window reopen?
Barca made the announcement on Monday morning and have immediately replaced Valdes with Franc Artiga, who was the coach of the under-19 B team and part of the youth set up at La Masia since 2010.
Sources close to the club told ESPN FC Valdes was given a dressing down on Friday by Patrick Kluivert, who is the director of youth football.
There have been clashes over a range of issues, including the team's formation, the management of star player Ilaix Moriba and Valdes' failure to turn up for important meetings with other coaches at the club.
Barca's U19s are unbeaten in the league but dropped points against Cornella and have lost both of their Youth League games, against Borussia Dortmund and Inter Milan.
Valdes completed his UEFA Pro licence alongside former teammate and friend Xavi Hernandez, who is working in Qatar, and the two have been linked to Victor Font, who is a candidate for the 2021 club presidential elections.