Previous
Iceland
Switzerland
6:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Spain
England
6:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Northern Ireland
6:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Estonia
Hungary
6:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Finland
Greece
6:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Belarus
Moldova
ESPN3 6:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Luxembourg
San Marino
6:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Next

Andres Iniesta interview halted after accident injures 11 people watching

The adjectives to describe Andres Iniesta's 22-year career with Barcelona are endless as he announces he'll leave the club at the end of the season.
Andres Iniesta was brought to tears as he announced he will be leaving Barcelona at the end of the season after 22 years with the club.

Eleven people were injured on Tuesday when a stand collapsed in Barcelona while Andres Iniesta was filming an interview.

Barca midfielder Iniesta was speaking to journalist Risto Mejide for the show "Chester" as he prepares to play his last-ever game for the Catalan club this weekend. A temporary stand had been erected in the background for a small group of supporters to watch the interview, which was being filmed at a football pitch in Poble Sec, a neighbourhood in Barcelona.

Halfway through the interview the stand, which had been put up by production staff, caved in, leaving a number of people with light injuries. The majority of the 11 injured suffered bruising, with just two people needing to be taken to hospital for further treatment.

"After this morning's scare, I want to send my support and best wishes to everyone that was there," Iniesta wrote on social media. "I hope that those injured recover as quickly as possible."

Mediaset, the television network in charge of the filming, said: "We're grateful to the security team, ambulance services and firemen of Barcelona for the immediate attention they showed to those injured during the filming of Chester.

"We regret what happened and wish everyone a swift recovery."

Producers deleted footage of Iniesta's interview given the accident involving the stand on which supporters were watching.
Producers deleted footage of Iniesta's interview given the accident involving the stand on which supporters were watching.

Mejide, the presenter of the show, said none of the footage would be used.

"Out of respect for those injured, we have deleted everything that was filmed today," he posted on social media. "The important thing is that everyone recovers as soon as possible."

Iniesta announced two weeks ago that this will be his final season at Barcelona before embarking on a new adventure.

The 34-year-old will make his final appearance for the club on Sunday against Real Sociedad at Camp Nou, where supporters will have their chance to say goodbye. However he has not yet confirmed where his future lies, with China, Japan, Australia and Qatar all still options.

Speaking on Onda Cero on Monday, Iniesta said he will make a decision next week before heading off to the World Cup with Spain in Russia.

Samuel Marsden covers Barcelona for ESPN FC. Follow him on Twitter @SamuelMarsden.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.